Monday, April 03, 2006

The Appreciative Stranger

"w.out knowing who anyone is, i simple say: thanks. philosophy and theology both in my past, and future, your site was unexpected gift. not meaning to trespass, just exploring this blog thing and finding there is, in the famous words of calvin and hobbes (of comic strip fame) "there's treasure everywhere!"an appreciative stranger. "

-did anybody else see this comment? This comment really made me feel good inside, and to avoid embracing a metaphysical explaination for my elatedness, I am publishing it to get each of your perspectives. It actually made me feel good to know that our work has an impact outside of the mere grade that we are being given. I have had fun writing and posting and engaging with the material. This cannot be purely Hobbsian can it? I mean, I must get some innate satisfaction just from the greater comprehension of the texts at hand. But, when I think about it, perhaps I am only happy because someone out of our blog sphere has recognized and highlighted our achievement. Am I happy merely because I have made somebody else happy?That is really sweet to think, but I cannot actually claim that. The author of this comment appreciates our blog not for it's theology etc, but because it jives with a particular way of viewing life. He likes philosophy, and this post engages with philosophical text, and thus as a Hobbsian it gives him greater power to know that he has the ability to also engage with this text, and understand what we are talking about. I don't know...I want some ideas from you guys on this....

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home